See What's on for news of a meeting Tuesday August 3rd at 7.30 p.m.
Before the development of Aberaeron, about 1810, Aberarth was a thriving self sufficient shipbuilding community with its shipyards, a wheelright, a woolen mill and a corn mill as well as a bakehouse, shops and pubs.
A great flood in 1846 washed a lot of the village and the last ship out to sea.
The arrival of the railway at Aberaeron in 1911 started the final decline of Aberarth commercially.
The woolen mill still stands but is only recognisable after close scrutiny.
The corn mill is still relatively complete but all other signs of industry or commerce have gone.
The earliest record of the mill is in a document dated 1540 which is a copy of one relating to a lease of 1503 which reads (translated from Latin) "The Mill of Llanthewy 6s 8d. Leased 10th January 1503 to David ap Griffyth ap Owen the ground with the watercourse as formerly, the Mill called the Mill of Abarth in the Comot of Anhuniog in the Parish of Llanthewy Aberarth - To hold for 99 years with the Toll of the Grain of Eskerarth, Gwern y Meirch, and to the aforesaid David the Edifice of the Mill....".
The corn mill ceased to have a full time miller with the retirement of Dic Roderick in 1920 and seems to have ceased completely soon after 1930.
For more information see "ABER-ARTH MILL AND ITS OWNERS" by Peter Davis in "Ceredigion, Journal of the Ceredigion Antiquarian Society" 1992
The Mill and adjoining Gardens.
Above:Some of the internal gearing.
The wheel before restoration work started.
Mill Renovation reports - (1) (2) (3) (4)(What Next?) .
If you are interested in old mills then try this link to a list of old books etc.